Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Operation Emergency Suck Up

And sometimes the need to start a project is thrust upon you. Like when my rabbit sneaked up on my mother when she was wearing her brand new cardigan, and chewed a cord off it. Personally, I am admiring his sneakiness and cleverness, but my mother seems to think I need to make it up to her with a pair of hand-knitted mittens.

Once I'd chosen my pattern - Somerset vs Norway from Ravelry - I went off to my local yarn shop on my morning tea break on Saturday morning, and bought some yarn. I'm using Filatura di Crosa Zara 8ply, with Midnight blue as the contrast colour and cream as the main colour, so it looks like two white rabbits gazing at the moon. The pattern is for Cascade 220, but a single ball of Zara in each colour seems to be working out fine.

This pattern was a bit of a challenge because my previous pairs have been knitted without thumb increasing and with the thumb stitches picked up later. This patter has thumb shaping in the palm, and you hold about half the stitches, and pick up the other half. It looks ugly on the needles, but once you try the mitten on, it makes so much sense.

I cast on Saturday night after work, and finished the first mitten Tuedsay evening at 10.30 pm. So I am halfway forgiven.

I notice my mother forgave my rabbit before I'd even finished the thumb shaping. He didn't have to knit anything. All he did was jump in her lap and look cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment