Monday, January 9, 2012

Everyone has their own story ... 2

Or, How Knitting Socks Saved My Life.

So there I was, knitting away to cope with stress. After I was transferred to a new manager and a new round of bullying, I became too sick to go to work. Before the GP wrote me a medical certificate for a week, he asked me if I had something to keep me occupied, because he didn't want me just sitting at home doing nothing.

I immediately thought of the ball of Kureyon sock yarn I had at home, the set of double pointed needles and the free sock pattern. I had always thought I would like to knit a pair of socks, when I had the time to sit down and concentrate. And I told my doctor, "I'll be fine, I have plenty to keep me busy".

So I went home and knitted and knitted and next thing I knew, I was up to the heel. The mysterious and reputedly difficult heel. Halfway through turning the heel I realised two things: it was easier than I'd been led to believe, and it was a lot of fun.

It was three weeks before I was well enough to go back to work, and in that time I had knitted my first pair of socks, dubbed my "Therapy socks", and started my second pair. I was hooked.

So I guess in a way I owe those terrible bosses a debt of gratitude, because without them I would never have learned to knit socks. Hmmm, I'm still working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment